What is Caring Dads?
The Caring Dads group program is a 17-week, closed group psycho-educational program that helps fathers improve their relationships with their children and end controlling, abusive, and neglectful behaviour.
This group offers…
- A unique opportunity for men to connect as fathers
- A combination of active group discussions, exercises, and homework
Through 17 sessions fathers will…
- Develop skills to cope in healthy ways with frustrating situations
- Understand how different fathering strategies and choices affect children
- Increase their awareness of controlling, abusive, and neglectful attitudes and behaviours
- Be provided with strategies to strengthen the father-child relationship
The importance of community partnerships
Pace collaborates with local agencies or organizations to support the success of the program through partnership agreements. Partnership agreements may include:
- Provision of space and hosting for group meetings
- Screening referral readiness
- Scheduling intake interviews with program staff
- Assistance with arranging transportation and/or childcare
- Follow-up with participants who may find some content overwhelming
- Re-connecting with participants who miss a group
- Designating staff to participate in group
If your organization provides services to a population who may benefit from this group, and if you are able to partner to ensure the groups success in your community, please contact the Program Coordinator.
Facts about fathering
Fathers can and want to be a positive influence in the lives of their children. Positively involved fathers enhance their children’s academic, personal and social development. Unfortunately, fathers can also have a negative impact on their children.
This occurs when fathers:
- Do not understand the feelings and needs of their children
- Harshly discipline their children
- Argue frequently with their children’s mothers
- Use abusive and controlling behavior
Eligibility is determined during a required screening interview
We accept referrals from individuals and other organizations
Funded by the Government of Alberta
There is no fee for this program to eligible candidates
For more information contact Program Coordinator
Number of Participants in 2018
Number of Groups in 2018
Wondering if this program is for you?
Do you sometimes feel so angry at your child that you feel like blowing up?
Are you concerned that your relationship with your child is not as close as you hoped it would be?
Do you sometimes wonder how well you know your child?
Are you concerned about the level of discipline that you seem to need to keep your child in line?
“Affirming words from moms and dads are like light switches. Speak a word of affirmation at the right moment in a child’s life and it’s like lighting up a whole roomful of possibilities.”